This Class is Two Required Classes in One:
- The Parenting Class tells you about children and divorce and about children’s needs at different ages, to help you make decisions in your children’s best interest.
- The Mediation Education Class explains mediation and how to prepare.
- The two classes are offered at the same time, for your convenience.
- Who is required to attend: People who have one or more minor children (under 18) involved in their legal case.
- Do you need to attend together? No.
- What you’ll learn:
- the needs of children of separated parents at different ages;
- parenting skills for divorced or separated parents;
- the financial responsibilities of parents following divorce; and
- how to prepare for mediation.
- Time: 4 or 4 1/2 hours, depending on the provider.
- When: Within 45 days of the date the petition was filed and before mediation.
- Where: At one of the locations below. You only attend ONE session. It includes both classes.
- Cost: $60 per person. One fee covers both required classes. Plan to arrive 15 minutes early so you can pay before the session starts.
- Requirements for reduced fee: If you can provide proof of income by showing your Food Stamps, SSI or Title XIX card or if you can provide proof that your attorney is not charging you for services, you are eligible for a reduced class fee of $20. Otherwise, you pay the full fee of $60. This policy took effect February 1, 2014.
- How to Register: Look at the schedule below and decide which time and location works best for you. To register: Go online or call the number listed below. Leave a voice message with the information they ask for. NOTE: Some agencies will NOT call you back to confirm.
Class LocationsLife Connections – Melissa Paulsen
209 West Main Street
Some Saturdays from 10:00am – 2:00pm
To find out class dates or to register contact Melissa Paulsen by calling 319.480.5387 or by email. Four Oaks
1924 D Street SW
2nd Saturday of month, 9:00am – 1:30pm
4th Wednesday of month, 5:30pm – 10:00pm
To register or for financial aid call 1-800-261-5097 or go online to www.family-development.org. Youth Homes
1916 Waterfront Dr.
2nd Wednesday of month, 5:00pm – 9:30pm
4th Thursday of month, 9:00am – 1:30pm
To register or for financial aid call: 1-800-261-5097 or go online to www.family-development.org. Marion High School
675 S. 15th St.
2nd Monday of every month, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
To register or for financial aid call:1-877-665-2120 or go online to www.parenting-solutions.org. North Liberty Community Center
520 W. Cherry St.,
1st Wednesday of month, 9:00am – 1:00pm
3rd Saturday of month, 9:00am – 1:00pm
To register or for financial aid call:1-877-665-2120 or go online to www.parenting-solutions.org. Virginia Gay Hospital
502 N. 9th Ave.
4th Wednesday of month, 9:00am – 1:30pm
To register or for financial aid call:1-800-261-5097 or go online to www.family-development.org. Williamsburg Junior/Senior High School
810 Walnut St., 3rd Tuesday of month, 5:00pm – 9:00pm
To register or for financial aid call: 1-877-665-2120 or go online to www.parenting-solutions.org.